The world of digital marketing and hyper-targeted ads is always changing. But today’s guest has some insight into what could be around the bend.
Alex Kukich is a uniquely experienced sales and marketing leader and the CRO at WITHIN. Alex shared what the landscape of digital advertising could look like in the future, the advertising alternatives to Google, and what a world without cookies would look like for advertisers.
- No one really knows where the future of cookie-less digital advertising is going. Even those at Google and other data giants aren’t sure of what’s next which leads to their constant iterations and delays.
- Cookies are used to track the activity of internet users across websites to build out a profile of each user’s interests. Companies can then pay to serve targeted ads to specific profiles based on their past search activity.
- For example, if someone was searching for Ford pickup trucks, Ford could serve them ads not just for Ford, but Ford pickups, and even Ford dealerships with pickup trucks in that user’s area.
- Because of legislative changes in Europe and the US, companies like Google need to develop a compliant way for digital advertisers to be able to target while not jeopardizing users’ personal data.
- In preparing for cookie-less advertising, companies like The Trade Desk are working with partners outside of Google to create a platform that uses the email addresses of different website users to track activity so they can place targeted ads in front of the right users.
- One of the issues that the coalition that The Trade Desk put together is whether users will be willing to sign in to all of the sites they visit and how this may impact privacy concerns.
- The platform that The Trade Desk and others are building will be open-source technology which gives advertisers and technology companies alike the ability to continue innovating how they target ads for users.
Quote of the Show:
- “Nobody really knows where cookie-less advertising is going” – Alex Kukich
- Scott Ferber – CEO of Videology
- The Trade Desk – https://www.thetradedesk.com/us
- Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod
- The One Thing by Gary W. Keller and Jay Papasan
Ways to tune in:
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/5f9c8c1a-fbf5-43c7-b7eb-958674860156/3-minute-marketing-with-chris-mechanic
- Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/3-minute-marketing-with-chris-mechanic/id1444680950
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/1OCuYchAG8TlGv82YARRhy?si=c4050290cbb54c65
- Google Podcast: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9tb3JlbWFya2V0aW5nLmxpYnN5bi5jb20vcnNz
- Listen Notes: https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/3-minute-marketing-with-chris-mechanic-rdU1oESluqs/
- YouTube: https://youtu.be/_6NNStYTlis