Today’s guest is an innovative and forward-thinking marketing leader who has been described as a combination of ‘Mad Men’ and ‘Math Men’. Prior to his current role, he led marketing at companies like SAP and Commvault.
Chris Powell is the Chief Marketing Officer of Qlik, which simplifies the way people use data by making it a natural part of how they make decisions.
Book a 30 minute call
Reserve 30 minutes with a strategist and get 30 hours worth of value.
Chris joins Host Chris Mechanic to share how to use a data-driven approach in marketing successfully, the challenges of merging brand names after an acquisition, and the importance of company authenticity in today’s marketplace.
- To succeed as a marketing leader, it’s imperative to think about the big picture of what you’re trying to achieve as a business. Make sure marketing’s goals are connected to the goals of the business as a whole.
- In everything you do in marketing, ask yourself “what is the job of this” and make sure that the purpose is not lost and remains the guiding light for that endeavor.
- Using frameworks for your marketing campaigns can be doubly effective because not only can you decrease the duplication of efforts but it can also unify the marketing team behind it.
- There are five main growth levers you can pull as a marketing leader, you can: grow the brand, grow existing customers, grow new customers, grow partnerships, and grow each other.
- Because of how many different and wildly varied responsibilities CMOs have, being a CMO is almost like running your own company as the CEO.
Quote of the Show:
- “You have to be a special type of lunatic to be CMO” – Chris Powell
Ways to Tune In:
Most newsletters suck...
So while we technically have to call this a daily newsletter so people know what it is, it's anything but.
You won't find any 'industry standards' or 'guru best practices' here - only the real stuff that actually moves the needle.