Today’s guest has over a decade of experience leading marketing teams that drive double-digit growth throughout the world of SaaS. Courtney Austermehle is the Chief Marketing Officer of Constructor.io and Mentor with the Venture Lane Startup Hub.
Book a 30 minute call
Reserve 30 minutes with a strategist and get 30 hours worth of value.
Courtney explains why your team’s wellness needs to be your top priority, why your marketing teams should implement “no Meeting Fridays”, and how to deal with the dark underbelly of paid search on branded keywords.
- While it takes time, build a safe environment that encourages open communication within your marketing team to foster a sense of trust and support among team members. Topics like burnout shouldn’t be taboo, they should discussed and addressed.
- Set boundaries for your work and encourage your employees to do the same. On a smaller scale, blocking out time on your calendar for yourself and accomplishing specific tasks that require your undivided attention can boost productivity.
- Consider setting up “no meeting” days to allow you and your team to focus on getting work done. For example, Courtney set up No Meeting Fridays to give her team some breathing room and a day without recurring meetings.
- Share the experiences you’ve had in your career and how you’ve dealt with them with your team. This is an important part of creating a relatable connection with your team and helps them understand that they can come to you for advice.
- Make sure to respect the boundaries put in place by the members of your team. For them to object to you takes courage. Because boundaries are a proactive step to caring for their mental health, don’t discourage them from sticking to them.
- Understand that not everyone on your team will be comfortable being completely open and honest in all settings. What works well for some team members may not be conducive for others to produce their best work. Be mindful of this as a leader.
Quote of the Show:
- “Start setting those boundaries for yourself where you can use the time wisely.” – Courtney Austermehle
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/courtney-austermehle/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/caustermehle
- Constructor Website: https://constructor.io/
- Salsify – Product Experience Management Platform
- Rob Gonzalez – Episode #11 https://revenuedrivencmo.com/3mm11-how-to-be-more-resourceful-and-generate-more-qualified-pipeline-with-rob-gonzalez
- A World Without Email by Cal Newport
- Glennon Doyle – Author and Podcaster
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
- Fierce Conversations by Susan Scott
Ways to Tune In:
- Amazon Music:https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/7334aa0c-702a-47aa-8c55-760fa2cf4dda/the-revenue-driven-cmo
- Apple Podcast:https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-revenue-driven-cmo/id1638785560
- Google Podcast:https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9tb3JlbWFya2V0aW5nLmxpYnN5bi5jb20vcnNz
- Listen Notes:https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/3-minute-marketing-with-chris-mechanic-rdU1oESluqs/
Most newsletters suck...
So while we technically have to call this a daily newsletter so people know what it is, it's anything but.
You won't find any 'industry standards' or 'guru best practices' here - only the real stuff that actually moves the needle.