Welcome back to 3-Minute Marketing, the show where we interview the leading players in growth marketing & get them to share the best plays in their playbooks.
Today, I’m thrilled to be speaking with a unicorn named Shelley Morrison, VP of the Global Demand Center at Domo. Shelley’s had an impressive career trajectory, having overseen digital strategies for nearly a dozen B2B technology brands in the last 5 years alone.
I asked Shelley, “What are some things up-and-coming marketers could do career-wise to get ahead — to get that job they want or be considered for a promotion?”
This video is the exclusive, “extended cut” video.
- When looking for your next move, seek opportunities for challenge & growth.
- Ask yourself, “Is it scary?” If yes, that’s a GOOD sign to pursue.
- Learn and understand your entire organization to discover how marketing can make the biggest impact.
- Make your boss look good by challenging them with newer/better ideas. Then let them run it up the chain.
- Advocate for yourself: Tell your manager, “This is where I want to go in my career.” Then work with them to define the milestones to get there and OWN it.
- Don’t just personalize in your marketing — humanize. Create an experience (content, etc.) that is designed to solve your prospects’ unique problems.