The Problem

New Castle School of Trades’ online presence has steadily improved over the last several years through search engine optimization activities. Year over year organic traffic had increased by 34.92% from 2011 to 2012 and 52.89% from 2012 to 2013.

With awareness at an all time high, we turned our attention to improving conversion rates. Already very successful — with some forms converting in double digit percentages — we identified three conversion mechanisms that would benefit the most from split testing.

The Solution

Our solution was to split test each one of the conversion mechanisms identified.

For the first split test, we hypothesized that frustration was causing abandonment on the contact form. Our first test then was to change the language and ordering of a problematic dropdown to offer uncertain users a more obvious option.

For the second split test, we wanted to challenge a call-to-action that had been working for 6+ months. We introduced a variation just to see if we could improve upon its success.

For the third test, we suspected a form was being overlooked. We aimed to increase visibility with directional cues that drew the reader to the form.

The Results

Each of the changes coaxed conversion levels to even greater heights. Typically we’ll end up with a dud or two, but we were right on the money with all of our suspicions.

  1. For the first split test, the original converted at 10.94% yielding 14 conversions. The variation converted at 19.6% and yielded 24 conversions.
  2. For the second split test, the original converted at 0.5% and yielded 10 conversions. The variation converted at 1.0% and yielded 20 conversions.
  3. For the third split test, we saw no conversions on the original and 22 conversions on the variation.
  4. ‹ Return to the Digital Marketing Resource Library